This dilemma was first brought to my attention by a reputable source – specifically the lady who cuts my hair. If I trust her to put a sharp, pointy object millimeters from my scalp – I trust her not to lie to me about the news of the week. After looking into her statements, I found that there is a debate on whether the President plans on calling the tree at the White House this year a Christmas Tree or a “Holiday Tree”. I have also heard reports that this entire story is fabricated and others that claim it is absolutely true. Either way this is what I know…………..what the crap is a Holiday Tree?


What do you put on a Holiday Tree? Shamrocks? Fireworks? Valentine’s? Easter Eggs….Oops, I mean Bunny Eggs (I never knew Rabbits laid eggs)? There are numerous holidays, so which one does the tree actually represent? Whether this rumor is true or not, I am fully aware that this sentiment is not new nor would it surprise me if it were the official stance or desire of The White House. After all, this is the same President that didn’t find it important to attend The National Day of Prayer in the front yard of his own home (a long sustained tradition at The White House) or participate in the annual Easter festivities at the same residence.


This issue may anger me more if it weren’t for that it is obviously extremely silly and well deserving of a eye-rolling. Why so quick to remove a Christmas Tree from Christmas? I don’t see anyone complaining about the Menorah? Last I checked it hasn’t been renamed the “Super-sized Candlestick” – although there is still time. Why all the trouble? If The White House or anyone feels it important enough to rename one of the most recognizable and innocent symbols of the season, they should save themselves some time and not put one out in the first place. Seems like a much wiser and time conserving solution to the entire problem. If you feel the holiday must remain neutral not to offend anyone that doesn’t recognize the birth of Christ, maybe it’s best not to celebrate it at all instead of attempting to rewrite its meaning. Nah…why do that when so many people in influential positions have gotten good at ‘rewriting’ history – perhaps they can rewrite the tradition of Christmas too?


The sobering truth to those interested in just that notion is that are too many passionate individuals with a strong relationship to that baby in the manger to allow any further changes to occur without a loud disagreement. No matter what politically correct outcome lurks in the future for the season of Christmas, it is impossible to take it away from those whom celebrate its origin. It means too much. Whether Macy’s or Big Lots decide to rewrite the semantics of Christmas, it doesn’t ultimately matter, because even if you call it something completely different it is still his birthday. If I plant an entire backyard full of potatoes and I adamantly refer to it as my beautiful rose garden…it doesn’t change the fact that all I have surrounding me are dirty, brown, spuds.


In the end, I have entirely no problem with everyone celebrating the season of Christmas, regardless of beliefs. I have no problem with secular traditions co-existing next to religious ones. The more tinsel the better I always say. All I ask is…(1) no more Santa’s on Harley’s (2) stop waiting for me to pull out of my parking place at the mall so you can save yourself a twenty foot extra walk (3) put an end to turning innocent children’s carols into skive, profane laced remixes to shock your friends (4) quit pretending that anyone enjoys Mariah Carey’s version of The Little Drummer Boy (5) except the realization that there is an actual reason behind all the commotion of the season besides a jolly red castoff from The Biggest Loser. Christmas isn’t a dirty word that needs censoring from government bureaucrats or attention seeking lawyers. Nor does it need any of its traditions or overall meaning redefined by the same individuals. You can celebrate it or ignore it, but don’t try to change it to better suit some momentary trend of over-correctness. Just enjoy. If you choose to embrace the reason for this season…great. If not…fine, that is entirely up to you. But for those in Washington if your desire is to change the semantics and meaning of the season, my expectations are for you to be…seated behind the desk…in your office…the one with the “Holiday Wreath” on the door…on December 25th, hard at work on ‘just another day’ in the nations capital.

2 comments:

ginmommy said...

STEVE!!!! You are so good at this writing stuff...one minute I was literally laughing out loud and then I was feeling so angry!!! I am completely 100% behind you, you are oh so right on. You need to update more often, I am an AVID reader of Mr. Steve Lee ;)

Tracey said...

Amen and Amen! Oh man, I laughed so hard, but you are so right! I love the "Bunny Eggs" :)

So true...NO ONE can change the meaning behind Christmas. And those who want to better be working hard on Dec. 25th!!!

Post a Comment